(Hydro-Electric Power Producing Areas Developement Commission ‘HYPPADEC’)
By Ahmad Umar (Kamba)
The numerous contributions and humanitarian services rendered by Abubakar Malami to the good people of Kebbi State mentioned in my 12 articles Series in SEASON ONE titled; KEBBI 2023 POLITICAL PERMUTATION are just a tip of an iceberg compared to my new discoveries of his contributions to the development of Kebbi State and its people.
In this SEASON TWO of the article Series titled KEBBI PRO JECT, I will provide the good people of Kebbi with another 12 series of UNTOLD STORIES OF ABUBAKAR MALAMI towards the progress and development of Kebbi State and its people that weren’t render by any Kebbi State indegine opportuned to serve as a Minister representing Kebbi State.
BRIEF ABOUT HYPPADEC:
Recall that some times in 2006,the Niger Delta people especially their political leaders agitated for the creation of an agency that will carter for some of their developmental needs as a result of oil spillage, pollution and environmental degradation caused by oil explorations. At the end, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) was created and funded with billions of Naira annually.
As a result of this, Hon. Halima Hassan Tukur from Kebbi state mobilized other lawmakers from the Northern States affected by same environmental degradation as a result of the creation of KAINJI DAM ( which provides major portion of electricity in Nigeria) for the creation of a similar developmental agency similar to the Niger Delta’s NDDC, hence the name HYPPADEC was coined with Kebbi, Niger, Kogi, Kwara and Benue States as major beneficiary states.
The said Lawmakers stood their ground in the National Assembly to the logical conclusion of the bill, but the then President failed to sign it because nobody with human face to follow it up at Executive level for assent.
When SEN. ADAMU ALEIRO became a Minister in 2008 there was celebration all over the state that he will push for HYPPADEC’s actualization, but failed to do so for unexplained reasons.
THE ROLE OF ABUBAKAR MALAMI IN THE ACTUALIZATION OF HYPPADEC
In recognition of his love and passion for anything that has to do with Kebbi State and its people, same Hon. Halima Hassan Tukur who initiated the bill when serving as a member Federal House of Representatives, approached Malami and sought his assistance to get the President to sign the bill for proper take off of the Commission. Within a week Malami got the presidential endorsement of HYPPADEC. This was not enough though, Malami went further to lobby the president to appoint a Kebbi State indegine as a subtantive head of HYPPADEC, hence the emergence of Alhaji Abubakar Sadiq Katikan Yauri as the pioneer MD of the Commission.
THE PRESENT IMPACTS OF HYPPADEC TO KEBBI STATE AND ITS PEOPLE:
- 1. Hundreds of Kebbi State indigenes so far have been employed into the Commission, courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI SAN.
- 2. A consultant (Prof. Saidu Birnin Yauri) with his supporting staff of Kebbi origin have been engaged, courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI SAN.
- 3. Many communities were provided with thousands of life jackets to avoid loss of lives in cases of canoe mishaps, courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI SAN.
- 4. Boreholes, street lights and other facilities were provided to Yauri Communities, courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN.
- 5. HYPPADEC sanitizes all waterways from Niger State down to Kebbi State by removing stones and trees in the River Niger that mostly causes ship mishaps, courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN.
- 6. Many Developemental Projects sponsored by HYPPADEC are still on going on in various Communities in Kebbi State, courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN.
- 7. Many Kebbians were awarded multi-million naira contracts by HYPADEC,courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN.
- 8. Hundreds of Kebbi State Youths were trained in Information Technology and other skills and provided with seed money,courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI,SAN.
- 9. HYPPADEC donated numerous motorcycles to security personnel in Yauri; courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN.
FUTURE IMPACTS OF HYPPADEC TO KEBBI STATE AND ITS PEOPLE:
In line with the law that established the Commission, the following infrastructure will be provided:
- 1. In the near future, HYPPADEC will construct world class schools to many Communities in Kebbi State and other benefiting states, courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN.
- 2. HYPPADEC will provide world class hospitals in Kebbi State and other benefiting states,courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN.
- 3. HYPPADEC will provide scholarship to thousands of Kebbi State indigenes and other benefiting states, courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN.
- 4. HYPPADEC will train, empower and equipe thousands of people in Kebbi State and other benefiting States; courtesy of ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN.
- 5. HYPPADEC will create Millionaires and billionaire through awarding of various contracts, among others.
Once again, I would like to round up my article with the words of my mentor, Malam Isyaku Abdullahi Eazee:
“Kebbi has had Ministers in the past but none has recorded the remarkable achievement of providing huge job opportunities for the people of Kebbi State than our present Minister ( ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN)…….”
Lets meet in part 2 for another GIGANTIC UNTOLD STORY OF ABUBAKAR MALAMI, SAN towards developing Kebbi State and its people.
‘Waka bakin mai ita tafi dadi’ as the saying goes; Attached audio is from the Horse’s mouth, Hon. Halima Hassan Tukur briefing about her struggle and role played by Malami in actualizing HYPPADEC.
Ahmad Umar ( Kamba)